Do you ever wonder why a baby’s skin is so soft? It’s because they naturally replace their skin cells every few days. As you age, however, the rate of cell turnover slows down dramatically. Dead cells on your skin’s surface stay around much longer, which can make your complexion look dull and lifeless.
By removing these dead skin cells and exfoliating your skin, you are making up for the gradual slowing down of your natural skin-renewal process, improving the tone and texture of your skin.
What is Exfoliation?
Exfoliation is simply the removal of dead skin cells. We naturally shed our skin in a process of monthly intervals of skin renewal. This process allows the skin cells to make their way from the dermis to the epidermis and eventually degenerate. This cycle, however, slows down as we age, and people begin to invest in skincare products that promise anti-aging benefits.
Exfoliation is necessary because it allows you to remove the dead skin cells on the top layers of the dermis to then allow the fresh skin to breathe and function without any unwanted barriers.
There are a variety of products on the market today that exfoliate the skin without requiring any actual manual scrubbing of the skin. Chemical exfoliators are a gentle and effective way to dissolve and remove the dead skin cells, especially for people with sensitive or acne-prone skin.
Benefits of Exfoliation
Aside from allowing fresh skin to breathe on the surface, exfoliation has a number of other benefits like the following:
- Reduces the appearance of hyperpigmentation caused by discoloration of the skin
- Reduces the dark spots caused by inflation from acne breakouts
- Brightens the overall complexion of the skin
- Helps remove debris from the surface of the skin, reducing congestion in the pores
- Helps absorb skincare products, allowing easy access to the penetration of products on the surface of the skin
- Makeup application looks nicer on the exfoliated skin, which looks smoother and more natural. The benefits of exfoliation can be seen in the skin’s radiance.
Your Skin Care Routine
Your exfoliation routine will depend heavily upon your l skin analysis. At Dr. Boulos Medical Spa, we use the VISIA Skin Analysis. The Visia Skin Analysis offers patients an objective evaluation of skin health. By providing a comprehensive photo-assessment, Visia allows an individualized treatment plan to be developed for each unique patient. With the results, we will be able to then recommend an exfoliating routine with physical scrubs or chemical exfoliants, or both to deliver the desired result. Contact us today to book your consultation!